While we are proud of the ever-growing list of accomplishments that our students, faculty and staff contribute every year to make us a top-tier institution, sometimes it is good to look back at some of the older milestones that have helped define Loras College over the years.
Since our founding in 1839, Loras College has constantly been placing its stamp on history. Below are some of the historical elements that have defined the College as we continue to strive for greater things for our students.
- Founded in 1839, Loras College is Iowa’s oldest college and second oldest college west of the Mississippi River.
- In 2020, The Loras College Historic District was added to the National Park Service’s National Register of Historic Places.
- Loras is one of only eleven diocesan institutions in the United States, historically tied to the Archdiocese of Dubuque.
- Loras is one of only two private colleges in the state that has a working Planetarium.
- In 2014, Loras College received the President’s Higher Education Community Service inaugural award in the Interfaith category.