Happy New Year!
I am pleased to welcome you to the Loras Daily – a new source for the latest news and information about Loras College. What you will find here is original content every day, from news releases and campus updates to more substantial features, videos and an upcoming podcast.
We hope you will bookmark this site and come back each day to connect with current students, alumni, staff, and faculty either through their actions, profiles or in their own words.
As we welcome in the new year, I am excited to see the ways we can improve on our successes of 2019. Among the long list of achievements were:
- The Loras National Catholic Honors Society Delta Epsilon Sigma marked its 27th straight years of first, second, or honorable mention in at least one category of the DES National Undergraduate Writing Competition.
- Loras was ranked third among Iowa’s 34 private, not-for-profit colleges, according to MONEY Magazine’s 2019 Best Colleges For Your Money list.
- Loras Women’s Track & Field claimed the National Championship with a victory at the NCAA Division III National Championships.
- Loras was named the 16th Best Regional College in the Midwest according to the 2019 U.S. News Best Colleges rankings.
- Loras was ranked as the 13th Best Bachelor’s Degree College in the U.S. according to the September 2019 Washington Monthly and received the highest ranking in Iowa.
- Loras was again cited as a top 200 Best-Loved Colleges & Universities according to the 2019 Forbes Grateful Grads Index for the third consecutive year. The publication index has only been in existence for four years.
- Loras Men’s Wrestling claimed second place at the NCAA Division III National Championships.
- Loras Men’s Basketball earned the first NCAA III Sweet Sixteen berth in school history.
- Loras was named a Top 25 institution nationally for students with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) according to rankings by Best Value Schools and the only school in Iowa to make the list.
- Loras finished as the 5th Best private institution and 6th Best Value College in Iowa by the 2020 Niche College Rankings
- Loras was named a top 50 college/university for students with disabilities by Great Value Colleges – one of only three schools in Iowa.
- Loras Athletics finished 16th in the Learfield IMG College Directors’ Cup Standings with 580.25 points. This marks the fourth consecutive year in which the Duhawks have placed higher than the year previous, each of which has set a new high for the College.
We are excited to share the Loras story with you in a timely manner. Including our social media outlets, we are always looking at additional ways to share the accomplishments of Duhawks on campus and around the globe. We invite you to share your news, ideas and columns to help us all connect and strengthen the already solid bonds that we share through Loras.